JSD's BA in Sociology
This is an "alternative credit" friendly plan (see: ACE or NCCRS) for a BA in Sociology at Thomas Edison State University. The Capstone must be taken at TESU (as is the case with all other TESU degree plans), and no known alternative options currently exist for Social Theory. Combine this plan with a current general ed plan (such as Sanantone's General Education Options --- Though understand GE changes have occurred since 2015).
This Sociology AOS plan is believed to be accurate as of the latest 2/17/2019 update --- However, as always, please verify with an advisor before beginning your path.
"Upper Level" Requirements
A minimum of 18 credits must be Upper Level (UL) -- the equivalent of a 300 or 400 level course. 3 of those credits will come from the Captsone, and 3 more will come from the Social Theory course if taken at TESU (no known test-out options for Social Theory). For the remaining 12, UL or lower level (LL) is denoted for the options below, however please verify these with an advisor (especially any marked with a ?).
- Introduction to Sociology (LL) - TECEP, DSST, CLEP, UExcel, Straighterline, Study.com, Propero, CSU Global CBE, Coopersmith Career Consulting,Saylor.org (Saylor is only 1cr)
- Social Theory TESU Online Course SOC-417 Contemporary Sociological Theory (UL). No known test-out options, but see CSU-Pueblo options below for possible independent study option (SOC 310: Social and Cultural Theory)
- Methods of Sociological Research (or Statistics) Stats @ ALEKS, DSST, Straighterline, TECEP, UExcel, Saylor.org (LL)
- LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone (no possible test-out, must be taken at TESU) (UL)
Pick any 7 below, making sure to get the required minimum of UL credits. As always, check with an advisor before attempting.
- Sociology of Work Study.com (UL)
- Aging and Society ed4online (UL)
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse DSST (UL)
- World Population UExcel (UL)
- Cultural Diversity UExcel (UL)
- Community Development CSU Global CBE (UL?)
- Working in Modern Society CSU Global CBE (UL?)
- Race, Gender, and Ethnic Relations in the U.S. CSU Global CBE (UL?)
- Gerontology Study.com (LL) or UExcel Foundations of Gerontology (UL?), Social Gerontology TESU E-Pack (no TECEP - ePacks are similar to TECEPs but more expensive and a little more guided) (UL),
- Social History of Jewish Food Coopersmith (UL?)
- Sociology of the Ba'al Teshuva Movement Coopersmith (UL?)
- Social Ethics Coopersmith (LL)
- The Jewish Child in Traditional Jewish Society Coopersmith (LL)
- Marriage and the Family TECEP Marriage and the Family (SOC-210-TE) (LL)
- Criminology Propero (LL)
- Juvenile Delinquency UExcel (LL)
CSU Pueblo Independent Study
If you are having trouble meeting all the requirements by the test-out options above, consider independent study options through Colorado State University Pueblo. Courses are expensive ($525 as of September 2016), but many options are provided. Courses are self-paced, but you are allowed a maximum of 12-16 weeks to finish. They currently offer almost 30 Sociology classes, many likely to transfer in as UL at TESU.
Please see their website: CSU Pueblo Independent Study Course Offerings