JSD's BA in Psychology
This is an "alternative credit" friendly plan (see: ACE or NCCRS) for a BA in Psychology at Thomas Edison State University. The Capstone must be taken at TESU (as is the case with all other TESU degree plans). Combine this plan with a current general ed plan (such as Sanantone's General Education Options --- Though understand GE changes have occurred since 2015).
This Psychology AOS plan is believed to be accurate as of the latest 2/17/2019 update --- However, as always, please verify with an advisor before beginning your path.
"Upper Level" Requirements
A minimum of 18 credits must be Upper Level (UL) -- the equivalent of a 300 or 400 level course. 3 of those credits will come from the Capstone. For the remaining 15, UL or lower level (LL) is denoted for the options below, however please verify these with an advisor (especially any marked with a ?).
- Introduction to Psychology CLEP, UExcel Exams, Straighterline, Study.com, Saylor.org, Propero, Coopersmith Career Consuting, ed4online, OnlineDegree.com (all LL)
- Research in Experimental Psychology UExcel Research Methods in Psychology (UL), Study.com (LL), or Coopersmith (LL?)
- Social Psychology TESU requires 6 credits of Social Psychology and courses can not duplicate. To satisfy this requirement, you can take Study.com's Social Psychology AND their Advanced Social Psychology (both LL), OR if you need a UL course, use the upper-level UExcel Social Psychology exam (UL) AND either the Study.com, ed4online, or Coopersmith option (all lower-level). You could also replace the UL UExcel exam with TESU's 3cr UL e-Pack course (see e-Pack section below), but e-Packs are expensive.
- History and Systems of Psychology Study.com (UL), Coopersmith (UL)
- Physiological Psychology Coopersmith (UL), Study.com (LL)
- Developmental Psychology Coopersmith Human Growth and Development (LL?), UExcel Life Span Developmental Psychology (LL), Study.com Human Growth and Development or Developmental Psychology (will not duplicate, LL), DSST Lifespan Development Psychology (LL), Coopersmith (Child Development? LL)
- Abnormal Psychology, TECEP (UL), UExcel (UL), ed4online (UL?), Coopersmith (UL?), Study.com (LL),
- Statistics ALEKS, TECEP, DSST, Straighterline, Study.com, Saylor.org, Propero, or UExcel (all LL)
- Ethics in the Social Sciences Study.com (LL) possibly Coopersmith (Social Ethics? LL)
- Capstone TESU online course LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone (no possible test-out, must be taken at TESU)
Pick any two below. There are likely plenty of options available from many other sources that have not been listed below.
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology Study.com (UL)
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse DSST (UL), Coopersmith (Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior)(UL?)
- Psychology of Personality Study.com (UL)
- Psychology of Adulthood & Aging UExcel (UL?), Study.com (LL)
- Organizational Behavior DSST, Straighterline, Study.com, Propero, Coopersmith (all LL?), CSU Global CBE Applied Organizational Psychology (UL?)
- Career Counseling Coopersmith (UL?)
- Family Therapy Coopersmith (UL?)
- Group Counseling Coopersmith (UL?)
- Substance Abuse Counseling Coopersmith (UL?)
- Therapeutic Interviewing Coopersmith (UL?)
- Jewish Rabbinical Counseling Coopersmith (UL?)
- Forensic Psychology CSU Global CBE (UL?)
- Psychology of Motivation Study.com (LL)
- Psychology of Women TECEP (LL)
- Aging and Society Ed4Online (LL?) (a sociology course that TESU has indicated will satisfy psych)
- Fundamentals of Counseling DSST (LL)
- Introduction to Educational Psychology CLEP, Study.com, Coopersmith (all LL)
- Cognitive Psychology Study.com (LL)
CSU Pueblo Independent Study
If you are having trouble meeting all the requirements by the test-out options above, consider independent study options through Colorado State University Pueblo. Courses are expensive (about $525 as of September 2016), but many options are provided. Courses are self-paced, but you are allowed a maximum of 12-16 weeks to finish. They currently offer 11 Psychology classes, many likely to transfer in as UL at TESU.
Please see their website: CSU Pueblo Independent Study Course Offerings
If you're not opposed to TESU's ePacks, which are basically very expensive test-outs, you have these options...
e-Packs for Some (not all) Required Courses
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY-101) (LL)
- Research in Experimental Psychology (PSY-322) (UL)
- Introduction to Social Psychology (PSY-370) (only 3 credits and 3 additional LL credits will need to be completed elsewhere, such as Study.com or ed4online)
- Developmental Psychology (PSY-211) (LL)
- Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350) (UL)
- Principles of Statistics (STA-201) (LL)
e-Packs Elective Options (all UL)
- Thanatology: An Understanding of Death and Dying (PSY-300)
- Introduction to Counseling (PSY-331)
- Psychology of Personality (PSY-352)
- Industrial Psychology (PSY-363)